Website FIles

12

Website FIles

Michael Gentry
I did a quick grep trying to find the website files, but didn't locate
them.  Can anyone give me a hint?  I think ASF would like us to add the
"Support Apache" link/logo [1] to our site (in the header).

[1]  See how POI did it: http://poi.apache.org

Re: Website FIles

Aristedes Maniatis-2
https://cms.apache.org/cayenne/

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis
GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Website FIles

Michael Gentry
I'll have to try tonight when I have my Apache credentials.  Hopefully I'll
have access.

Thanks!

mrg

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:14 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://cms.apache.org/cayenne/
>

> On 4/5/17 9:56pm, Michael Gentry wrote:
> > I did a quick grep trying to find the website files, but didn't locate
> > them.  Can anyone give me a hint?  I think ASF would like us to add the
> > "Support Apache" link/logo [1] to our site (in the header).
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > mrg
> >
> > [1]  See how POI did it: http://poi.apache.org
> >

> --
> -------------------------->
> Aristedes Maniatis
> GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Website FIles

Andrus Adamchik
I tried documenting the CMS process here: http://cayenne.apache.org/dev/cms-guide.html  It is missing a few details, but has all the links.

Andrus

> On May 4, 2017, at 3:51 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'll have to try tonight when I have my Apache credentials.  Hopefully I'll
> have access.
>
> Thanks!
>
> mrg
>

> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:14 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> https://cms.apache.org/cayenne/
>>

>> On 4/5/17 9:56pm, Michael Gentry wrote:
>>> I did a quick grep trying to find the website files, but didn't locate
>>> them.  Can anyone give me a hint?  I think ASF would like us to add the
>>> "Support Apache" link/logo [1] to our site (in the header).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> mrg
>>>
>>> [1]  See how POI did it: http://poi.apache.org
>>>

>> --
>> -------------------------->
>> Aristedes Maniatis
>> GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Website FIles

Michael Gentry
I'm just now getting to this ...

Is there a way to run the CMS locally to see what your change will look
like in advance or is it commit+pray?

It looks like I'll need to modify skeleton.html and master.css, which
aren't as simple as editing Markdown.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I tried documenting the CMS process here: http://cayenne.apache.org/dev/
> cms-guide.html  It is missing a few details, but has all the links.
>
> Andrus
>

> > On May 4, 2017, at 3:51 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'll have to try tonight when I have my Apache credentials.  Hopefully
> I'll
> > have access.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > mrg
> >

> > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:14 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> https://cms.apache.org/cayenne/

> >> --
> >> -------------------------->
> >> Aristedes Maniatis
> >> GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Website FIles

Andrus Adamchik
> Is there a way to run the CMS locally to see what your change will look
> like in advance or is it commit+pray?

I used to be able to run it locally in the past. IIRC it took a while to setup. There are instructions here [1].

> It looks like I'll need to modify skeleton.html and master.css, which
> aren't as simple as editing Markdown.

Judging from your commits from yesterday, you've already figured out how to use the staging environment [2] :) IMO that's an easier option than setting up Perl environment locally.

Andrus

[1] https://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#faq-cms-command-line-build-tools
[2] https://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#staging

> On May 20, 2017, at 7:11 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm just now getting to this ...
>
> Is there a way to run the CMS locally to see what your change will look
> like in advance or is it commit+pray?
>
> It looks like I'll need to modify skeleton.html and master.css, which
> aren't as simple as editing Markdown.
>

> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I tried documenting the CMS process here: http://cayenne.apache.org/dev/
>> cms-guide.html  It is missing a few details, but has all the links.
>>
>> Andrus
>>

>>> On May 4, 2017, at 3:51 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll have to try tonight when I have my Apache credentials.  Hopefully
>> I'll
>>> have access.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> mrg

Re: Website FIles

Michael Gentry
I must be going blind because I looked at the CMS reference page yesterday
and missed it.

I wanted to run local because skeleton.html is a bit "odd" in the way it
includes the graphics/logos in the header -- solely through master.css:

<h2><a href="http://www.apache.org" title="The Apache Software

Not even an image tag there, so I'll have to figure out the CSS needed to
prepend other logo.  I expect that to take many attempts and wanted to
avoid a slew of commits.

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 2:22 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Is there a way to run the CMS locally to see what your change will look
> > like in advance or is it commit+pray?
>
> I used to be able to run it locally in the past. IIRC it took a while to
> setup. There are instructions here [1].
>
> > It looks like I'll need to modify skeleton.html and master.css, which
> > aren't as simple as editing Markdown.
>
> Judging from your commits from yesterday, you've already figured out how
> to use the staging environment [2] :) IMO that's an easier option than
> setting up Perl environment locally.
>
> Andrus
>

> [1] https://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#faq-cms-command-
> line-build-tools
> [2] https://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#staging
>
> > On May 20, 2017, at 7:11 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm just now getting to this ...
> >
> > Is there a way to run the CMS locally to see what your change will look
> > like in advance or is it commit+pray?
> >
> > It looks like I'll need to modify skeleton.html and master.css, which
> > aren't as simple as editing Markdown.
> >

> > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I tried documenting the CMS process here:
> http://cayenne.apache.org/dev/
> >> cms-guide.html  It is missing a few details, but has all the links.
> >>
> >> Andrus

> >> I'll

> locate
> the

Re: Website FIles

You are right.  A total PITA to set up!  :-)

I've got the update on the staging site if anyone wants to look/comment:

http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/

wrote:

> > Is there a way to run the CMS locally to see what your change will look
> > like in advance or is it commit+pray?
>
> I used to be able to run it locally in the past. IIRC it took a while to
> setup. There are instructions here [1].
>
> > It looks like I'll need to modify skeleton.html and master.css, which
> > aren't as simple as editing Markdown.
>
> Judging from your commits from yesterday, you've already figured out how
> to use the staging environment [2] :) IMO that's an easier option than
> setting up Perl environment locally.
>
> Andrus
>

> [1] https://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#faq-cms-command-
> line-build-tools
> [2] https://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#staging
>
> > On May 20, 2017, at 7:11 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm just now getting to this ...
> >
> > Is there a way to run the CMS locally to see what your change will look
> > like in advance or is it commit+pray?
> >
> > It looks like I'll need to modify skeleton.html and master.css, which
> > aren't as simple as editing Markdown.
> >

> > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I tried documenting the CMS process here:
> http://cayenne.apache.org/dev/
> >> cms-guide.html  It is missing a few details, but has all the links.
> >>
> >> Andrus

> >> I'll

> locate
> the

Re: Website FIles

Andrus Adamchik
I see the "Support Apache" logo appeared in the header. Was that the only change?

I am curious - is "Support Apache" something that the Board asked us to do?

I am asking, as ObjectStyle was going to donate the time of our designer in the nearest future to modernize Cayenne site. So I wanted to understand what are the minimal branding requirements.

Andrus

> On May 21, 2017, at 3:06 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You are right.  A total PITA to set up!  :-)
>
> I've got the update on the staging site if anyone wants to look/comment:
>
> http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/
>
> Thanks,
>
> mrg
>

> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 2:22 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>>> Is there a way to run the CMS locally to see what your change will look
>>> like in advance or is it commit+pray?
>>
>> I used to be able to run it locally in the past. IIRC it took a while to
>> setup. There are instructions here [1].
>>
>>> It looks like I'll need to modify skeleton.html and master.css, which
>>> aren't as simple as editing Markdown.
>>
>> Judging from your commits from yesterday, you've already figured out how
>> to use the staging environment [2] :) IMO that's an easier option than
>> setting up Perl environment locally.
>>
>> Andrus
>>

>> [1] https://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#faq-cms-command-
>> line-build-tools
>> [2] https://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#staging
>>
>>> On May 20, 2017, at 7:11 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm just now getting to this ...
>>>
>>> Is there a way to run the CMS locally to see what your change will look
>>> like in advance or is it commit+pray?
>>>
>>> It looks like I'll need to modify skeleton.html and master.css, which
>>> aren't as simple as editing Markdown.

>> http://cayenne.apache.org/dev/

>> locate
>> the

Re: Website FIles

Andrus Adamchik

> On May 21, 2017, at 3:39 PM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've got the update on the staging site if anyone wants to look/comment:
>>
>> http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/

I guess the main limitation of using staging for site review is that a single review would block any other updates to the site, and has a risk of going live prematurely. Shouldn't be a big problem in practice, as the updates happen rarely, usually around a release time. But notifying everybody will be important in this scenario.

Re: Website FIles

That's the main change.  I also added a link to the Staging CMS site since
I had to dig that up (didn't know it offhand).

Yes, the Board was requesting it.  Are you still getting the board@
e-mails?  If so, look for the "[PMCs] Seeking your help for ASF's 18th
Anniversary" thread from Sally.  (And yes, it was back in March, but I'm
lagged -- allergy season and work haven't been my friend.)

mrg

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I see the "Support Apache" logo appeared in the header. Was that the only
> change?
>
> I am curious - is "Support Apache" something that the Board asked us to do?
>
> I am asking, as ObjectStyle was going to donate the time of our designer
> in the nearest future to modernize Cayenne site. So I wanted to understand
> what are the minimal branding requirements.
>
> Andrus
>
> > On May 21, 2017, at 3:06 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > You are right.  A total PITA to set up!  :-)
> >
> > I've got the update on the staging site if anyone wants to look/comment:
> >
> > http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > mrg

> >> I used to be able to run it locally in the past. IIRC it took a while to
> >> setup. There are instructions here [1].

> >> Judging from your commits from yesterday, you've already figured out how
> >> to use the staging environment [2] :) IMO that's an easier option than
> >> setting up Perl environment locally.
> >>
> >> Andrus
> >>

> >> [1] https://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#faq-cms-command-
> >> line-build-tools
> >> [2] https://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#staging

> [hidden email]>

> >> http://cayenne.apache.org/dev/

> Hopefully

> >> locate
> >> the

Re: Website FIles

Andrus Adamchik

> On May 21, 2017, at 3:48 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That's the main change.  I also added a link to the Staging CMS site since
> I had to dig that up (didn't know it offhand).

Exposing staging links publicly and adding more weight to them by creating links from the main site will be bad for SEO (a link to a second copy of the site will confuse Google as to which is the primary page). Wish we had the ability to set <link rel="canonical"../> for each page to help Google. So maybe remove the <a> tag from that link, and simply keep the text?

> Yes, the Board was requesting it.  Are you still getting the board@ e-mails?

I do. I just don't have time to read all of them. :)

> If so, look for the "[PMCs] Seeking your help for ASF's 18th
> Anniversary" thread from Sally.

Got it. Perhaps in the new design we'll find a better place for it. I guess for now it is fine where it is.

> (And yes, it was back in March, but I'm
> lagged -- allergy season and work haven't been my friend.)

Sorry to hear about the allergies.

Re: Website FIles

wrote:

> I am asking, as ObjectStyle was going to donate the time of our designer
> in the nearest future to modernize Cayenne site. So I wanted to understand
> what are the minimal branding requirements.

If we are going to modernize the site, are we going to stick with Apache
CMS (is that a requirement?) or perhaps go with a more popular and actively
developed static site generator, such as Jekyll [1]?  Two things I noticed
when running ASF CMS locally compared to Jekyll:

1. I kept having to edit the produced HTML to localize the file: CSS
references since /style.css won't work correctly.  Jekyll handles this
correct.  Of course, maybe ASF CMS can support this and I don't know how to
change it.
2. Jekyll has a server option that will monitor changes as you are editing
and smartly regenerate your site, which is faster.

[1] https://jekyllrb.com/ -- Also the static site generator used by GitHub
Pages.

Re: Website FIles

> On May 21, 2017, at 3:59 PM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On May 21, 2017, at 3:48 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That's the main change.  I also added a link to the Staging CMS site since
>> I had to dig that up (didn't know it offhand).
>
> Exposing staging links publicly and adding more weight to them by creating links from the main site will be bad for SEO (a link to a second copy of the site will confuse Google as to which is the primary page). Wish we had the ability to set <link rel="canonical"../> for each page to help Google. So maybe remove the <a> tag from that link, and simply keep the text?

On the other hand, it seems that the CMS already takes care of it by automatically placing a restrictive robots.txt on staging containing this:

Disallow: /

So my worries may be misplaced, but since search engines are complete blackboxes, you can never be 100% sure :)

Re: Website FIles

I'm fine with obfuscating the staging site to confuse search engines.  I'll
do that later.

There are WAY too many board@ e-mails... I'm actually surprised I saw this
one from Sally.  Most I just file away.

The location I put the support badge was largely lifted from the POI site.
I even lifted their graphic since the original one Sally posted didn't have
transparency information (all a white background, which didn't work in our
header).

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > On May 21, 2017, at 3:48 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > That's the main change.  I also added a link to the Staging CMS site
> since
> > I had to dig that up (didn't know it offhand).
>
> Exposing staging links publicly and adding more weight to them by creating
> links from the main site will be bad for SEO (a link to a second copy of
> the site will confuse Google as to which is the primary page). Wish we had
> the ability to set <link rel="canonical"../> for each page to help Google.
> So maybe remove the <a> tag from that link, and simply keep the text?
>
> > Yes, the Board was requesting it.  Are you still getting the board@
> e-mails?
>
> I do. I just don't have time to read all of them. :)
>
> > If so, look for the "[PMCs] Seeking your help for ASF's 18th
> > Anniversary" thread from Sally.
>
> Got it. Perhaps in the new design we'll find a better place for it. I
> guess for now it is fine where it is.
>
> > (And yes, it was back in March, but I'm
> > lagged -- allergy season and work haven't been my friend.)
>
> Sorry to hear about the allergies.

Re: Website FIles

I'd be +1 on Jekyll. We can simply check in Jekyll-generated content to the site SVN as HTML/CSS/JS.

Andrus

> On May 21, 2017, at 4:06 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I am asking, as ObjectStyle was going to donate the time of our designer
>> in the nearest future to modernize Cayenne site. So I wanted to understand
>> what are the minimal branding requirements.
>>

> If we are going to modernize the site, are we going to stick with Apache
> CMS (is that a requirement?) or perhaps go with a more popular and actively
> developed static site generator, such as Jekyll [1]?  Two things I noticed
> when running ASF CMS locally compared to Jekyll:
>
> 1. I kept having to edit the produced HTML to localize the file: CSS
> references since /style.css won't work correctly.  Jekyll handles this
> correct.  Of course, maybe ASF CMS can support this and I don't know how to
> change it.
> 2. Jekyll has a server option that will monitor changes as you are editing
> and smartly regenerate your site, which is faster.
>

> [1] https://jekyllrb.com/ -- Also the static site generator used by GitHub
> Pages.

Re: Website FIles

There is no robots.txt file on production, though, so the link will be
found there.  I'll update it.

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 9:08 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > On May 21, 2017, at 3:59 PM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> >> On May 21, 2017, at 3:48 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> That's the main change.  I also added a link to the Staging CMS site
> since
> >> I had to dig that up (didn't know it offhand).
> >
> > Exposing staging links publicly and adding more weight to them by
> creating links from the main site will be bad for SEO (a link to a second
> copy of the site will confuse Google as to which is the primary page). Wish
> we had the ability to set <link rel="canonical"../> for each page to help
> Google. So maybe remove the <a> tag from that link, and simply keep the
> text?
>
> On the other hand, it seems that the CMS already takes care of it by
> automatically placing a restrictive robots.txt on staging containing this:

> Disallow: /
>
> So my worries may be misplaced, but since search engines are complete
> blackboxes, you can never be 100% sure :)

Re: Website FIles

Michael Gentry
Actually, what I said doesn't make sense.  Did I mention I'm living in an
allergy fog these days?  :-)

Even if the production site references the staging site, the robots.txt on
the staging site should discourage search engines from following it.

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is no robots.txt file on production, though, so the link will be
> found there.  I'll update it.
>

> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 9:08 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> since
>> >
>> > Exposing staging links publicly and adding more weight to them by
>> creating links from the main site will be bad for SEO (a link to a second
>> copy of the site will confuse Google as to which is the primary page). Wish
>> we had the ability to set <link rel="canonical"../> for each page to help
>> Google. So maybe remove the <a> tag from that link, and simply keep the
>> text?
>>
>> On the other hand, it seems that the CMS already takes care of it by
>> automatically placing a restrictive robots.txt on staging containing this:

>> Disallow: /
>>
>> So my worries may be misplaced, but since search engines are complete
>> blackboxes, you can never be 100% sure :)
>>
>> Andrus

Re: Website FIles

Aristedes Maniatis-2
I'll chime in here that I love Jekyll and am currently moving my own site across to it. I used it also for our company intranet and (off topic) I highly recommend it for that purpose.

If we do move to Jekyll, I'd be happy to do a bunch of the initial setup work. But I asked about Jekyll years ago to see if the Apache CMS supported it and the answer was no. So that would mean we'd need to only upload static content.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis
GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Website FIles

Michael Gentry
I just published the changes.  Let me know if you encounter any issues.

As to Ari's comment of only publishing static content, the ASF CMS dynamic
editing of our site using their CMS Bookmarklet isn't all that great, so I
don't think we'd really miss/lose anything by only publishing static
content.  I'd prefer to edit and preview the live/local statically
generated content, personally, and publish when we think it is correct.