Switching SQL logging on/off at runtime

Musall, Maik
Hi all,

like recommended in https://cayenne.apache.org/docs/3.0/configuring-logging.html, I use these properties to control the logging of SQL:

log4j.logger.org.apache.cayenne.access.QueryLogger = WARN
log4j.logger.org.apache.cayenne = WARN

How would I switch SQL logging on from within the application at runtime?

Thanks
Maik

Re: Switching SQL logging on/off at runtime

John Huss
Use the log4j api.  Something like RootLogger.getLogger("org.apache.cayenn
e.access.QueryLogger").setLevel(Level.INFO)

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM Musall, Maik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> like recommended in
> https://cayenne.apache.org/docs/3.0/configuring-logging.html, I use these
> properties to control the logging of SQL:
>
> log4j.logger.org.apache.cayenne.access.QueryLogger = WARN
> log4j.logger.org.apache.cayenne = WARN
>
> How would I switch SQL logging on from within the application at runtime?
>
> Thanks
> Maik

Re: Switching SQL logging on/off at runtime

Musall, Maik
Of course, thanks. Works!

> Am 16.02.2017 um 21:22 schrieb John Huss <[hidden email]>:
>
> Use the log4j api.  Something like RootLogger.getLogger("org.apache.cayenn
> e.access.QueryLogger").setLevel(Level.INFO)
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM Musall, Maik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> like recommended in
>> https://cayenne.apache.org/docs/3.0/configuring-logging.html, I use these
>> properties to control the logging of SQL:
>>
>> log4j.logger.org.apache.cayenne.access.QueryLogger = WARN
>> log4j.logger.org.apache.cayenne = WARN
>>
>> How would I switch SQL logging on from within the application at runtime?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Maik

Re: Switching SQL logging on/off at runtime

Michael Gentry
Hi Maik,

One thing we put in the administrative pages for all of our applications is
the ability to set logger levels at runtime (not just Cayenne, but any of
them).  Allows us to have a "reasonable" default most of the time,
especially in production, but then be able to change dynamically if we need
to troubleshoot.

mrg

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Musall, Maik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Of course, thanks. Works!
>
> > Am 16.02.2017 um 21:22 schrieb John Huss <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Use the log4j api.  Something like RootLogger.getLogger("org.
> apache.cayenn
> > e.access.QueryLogger").setLevel(Level.INFO)
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM Musall, Maik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> like recommended in
> >> https://cayenne.apache.org/docs/3.0/configuring-logging.html, I use
> these
> >> properties to control the logging of SQL:
> >>
> >> log4j.logger.org.apache.cayenne.access.QueryLogger = WARN
> >> log4j.logger.org.apache.cayenne = WARN
> >>
> >> How would I switch SQL logging on from within the application at
> runtime?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Maik

Re: Switching SQL logging on/off at runtime

Musall, Maik
Hi Michael,

I have a similar thing in mine, but somehow the Cayenne loggers weren't included in that list yet.

Maik

> Am 17.02.2017 um 14:39 schrieb Michael Gentry <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Maik,
>
> One thing we put in the administrative pages for all of our applications is
> the ability to set logger levels at runtime (not just Cayenne, but any of
> them).  Allows us to have a "reasonable" default most of the time,
> especially in production, but then be able to change dynamically if we need
> to troubleshoot.
>
> mrg
>

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Musall, Maik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Of course, thanks. Works!
>>
>>> Am 16.02.2017 um 21:22 schrieb John Huss <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Use the log4j api.  Something like RootLogger.getLogger("org.
>> apache.cayenn
>>> e.access.QueryLogger").setLevel(Level.INFO)

>> these

>> runtime?

Re: Switching SQL logging on/off at runtime

Michael Gentry
Ours allows us to specify an arbitrary string, too, in case we forget a
logger or need to fine-tune it more.  Just a suggestion.  :-)