Renaming cayenne-postcommit module to cayenne-commitlog

Renaming cayenne-postcommit module to cayenne-commitlog

Nikita Timofeev
Hi all,

There is a pull request from me for the subj.
It has some braking changes (for feature introduced in 4.0 though)
and I want to have some feedback before I can apply it.
Details can be found in PR [1] or in Jira [2].

In short the idea is to give "postcommit" functionality name that is better
describe it, as "postcommit" is obscure and clashes with POST_COMMIT
callback that is a completely separate feature.

[1] https://github.com/apache/cayenne/pull/214
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2302

Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev

Re: Renaming cayenne-postcommit module to cayenne-commitlog

Aristedes Maniatis-2
I accidentally replied just to Nikita, so bringing this back to the list. I think if it is that specific, then the naming is a great idea.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis
GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Renaming cayenne-postcommit module to cayenne-commitlog

Andrus Adamchik
I also left my +1 on GitHub. Repeating it here.

"Postcommit" was a placeholder name. The goal of this module was/is to capture commit changes and present them to interested parties in an easy-to-process format. Naming a module after its implementation details or the place in the lifecycle feels wrong. In fact we went through a number of different implementations already, to solve this one problem.

"Commitlog" name focuses on the intent, so it seems more appropriate.

As an aside, the concept of an explicit commit log has a potential to take a more central role in the future Cayenne stack. Currently the stack uses something called GraphDiff which is roughly an opaque list of change objects that can only be processed using a visitor [2]. GraphDiff can already be transformed to a commit log. And the hope is that commit log may prove to be a more convenient model for generating updating SQL.

Andrus

[1] https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/master/cayenne-server/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/graph/GraphDiff.java
[2] https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/master/cayenne-server/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/graph/GraphChangeHandler.java

> On May 17, 2017, at 2:40 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I accidentally replied just to Nikita, so bringing this back to the list. I think if it is that specific, then the naming is a great idea.
>
> Ari
>
> On 17/5/17 9:38pm, Nikita Timofeev wrote:
>> Hi Ari,
>>
>> This module is providing access to cayenne's commit log in a form that can be easily processed.
>> So you can use it for whatever you can imagine,
>> thought most obvious usage is some sort of audit logging.
>>
>> Postcommit module was there for some time as part of cayenne-lifecycle, created to replace Audit filter.
>> My change is only about pulling it out(that's done already) and renaming it.
>>
>> Wednesday, 17 May 2017, 02:05pm +03:00 from Aristedes Maniatis [hidden email]:

>>> Can this module be used for things which aren't just logging?
>>> Ari
>>> --
>>> -------------------------->
>>> Aristedes Maniatis
>>> GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A
>>

> --
> Aristedes Maniatis
> GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Renaming cayenne-postcommit module to cayenne-commitlog

Nikita Timofeev
Thanks Ari and Andrus for your feedback.

I've merged my changes.