Modeler welcome screen

Musall, Maik
Hi folks,

I always had trouble finding the right one of my recent projects on the modeler's startup screen because their paths were always cut off. Turns out it's sufficient to make the welcome.jpg wider to fix that. I changed it to look like this now:

I didn't bother recreating the background patterns in the image. Any comments before I submit this as a pull request?

Thanks
Maik

Re: Modeler welcome screen

Hugi Thordarson
Always had the same problem, this is awesome :D. There’s a workaround though, the full paths of recent projects can be seen in the file menu.

- hugi

> On 17. nóv. 2016, at 16:53, Musall, Maik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I always had trouble finding the right one of my recent projects on the modeler's startup screen because their paths were always cut off. Turns out it's sufficient to make the welcome.jpg wider to fix that. I changed it to look like this now:
>
> <PastedGraphic-4.png>
> I didn't bother recreating the background patterns in the image. Any comments before I submit this as a pull request?
>
> Thanks
> Maik

Re: Modeler welcome screen

Hi Maik,

The paths getting cut-off is precisely why I changed Cayenne Modeler to show you the full path when you hover over an entry.  Not ideal, but was better than nothing.

In the Cayenne Modeler Prototype I'm working on, the open/splash screen has the paths in a scrollable list (so you can always see the full path) and includes keyboard navigation as well (nicer when your hand isn't on the mouse):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54311650/CayenneModelerPrototype/Splash.png

mrg

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Musall, Maik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,

I always had trouble finding the right one of my recent projects on the modeler's startup screen because their paths were always cut off. Turns out it's sufficient to make the welcome.jpg wider to fix that. I changed it to look like this now:

I didn't bother recreating the background patterns in the image. Any comments before I submit this as a pull request?

Thanks
Maik

Re: Modeler welcome screen

Musall, Maik
Hi Michael,

even better, thanks. I wasn't aware that something's in the work. I'd say ditch my pull request then ;~)

Maik

> Am 19.11.2016 um 14:33 schrieb Michael Gentry <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Maik,
>
> The paths getting cut-off is precisely why I changed Cayenne Modeler to show you the full path when you hover over an entry.  Not ideal, but was better than nothing.
>
> In the Cayenne Modeler Prototype I'm working on, the open/splash screen has the paths in a scrollable list (so you can always see the full path) and includes keyboard navigation as well (nicer when your hand isn't on the mouse):
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54311650/CayenneModelerPrototype/Splash.png <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54311650/CayenneModelerPrototype/Splash.png>
>
> mrg
>

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Musall, Maik <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I always had trouble finding the right one of my recent projects on the modeler's startup screen because their paths were always cut off. Turns out it's sufficient to make the welcome.jpg wider to fix that. I changed it to look like this now:
>

> I didn't bother recreating the background patterns in the image. Any comments before I submit this as a pull request?
>
> Thanks
> Maik

Re: Modeler welcome screen

Michael Gentry
Nah, no idea when I'll (and others?) will finish the new one!  The current
modeler is functional, so it will stay in use for a while until we can
replace it.

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Musall, Maik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> even better, thanks. I wasn't aware that something's in the work. I'd say
> ditch my pull request then ;~)
>
> Maik
>
> > Am 19.11.2016 um 14:33 schrieb Michael Gentry <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi Maik,
> >
> > The paths getting cut-off is precisely why I changed Cayenne Modeler to
> show you the full path when you hover over an entry.  Not ideal, but was
> better than nothing.
> >
> > In the Cayenne Modeler Prototype I'm working on, the open/splash screen
> has the paths in a scrollable list (so you can always see the full path)
> and includes keyboard navigation as well (nicer when your hand isn't on the
> mouse):
> >
> > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54311650/CayenneModelerPrototype/
> Splash.png <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54311650/
> CayenneModelerPrototype/Splash.png>
> >
> > mrg
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Musall, Maik <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I always had trouble finding the right one of my recent projects on the
> modeler's startup screen because their paths were always cut off. Turns out
> it's sufficient to make the welcome.jpg wider to fix that. I changed it to
> look like this now:
> >

> > I didn't bother recreating the background patterns in the image. Any
> comments before I submit this as a pull request?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Maik

Re: Modeler welcome screen

Andrus Adamchik
Right. We are planning to support the current Modeler for years to come. And I was actually going to apply Maik's PR once I get a spare minute, unless someone beats me to it.

Andrus

> On Nov 20, 2016, at 9:19 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nah, no idea when I'll (and others?) will finish the new one!  The current
> modeler is functional, so it will stay in use for a while until we can
> replace it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> mrg
>

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Musall, Maik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> even better, thanks. I wasn't aware that something's in the work. I'd say
>> ditch my pull request then ;~)
>>
>> Maik
>>
>>> Am 19.11.2016 um 14:33 schrieb Michael Gentry <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Hi Maik,
>>>
>>> The paths getting cut-off is precisely why I changed Cayenne Modeler to
>> show you the full path when you hover over an entry.  Not ideal, but was
>> better than nothing.
>>>
>>> In the Cayenne Modeler Prototype I'm working on, the open/splash screen
>> has the paths in a scrollable list (so you can always see the full path)
>> and includes keyboard navigation as well (nicer when your hand isn't on the
>> mouse):
>>>
>>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54311650/CayenneModelerPrototype/
>> Splash.png <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54311650/
>> CayenneModelerPrototype/Splash.png>
>>>
>>> mrg
>>>

>>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Musall, Maik <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I always had trouble finding the right one of my recent projects on the
>> modeler's startup screen because their paths were always cut off. Turns out
>> it's sufficient to make the welcome.jpg wider to fix that. I changed it to
>> look like this now:
>>>

>>> I didn't bother recreating the background patterns in the image. Any
>> comments before I submit this as a pull request?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Maik

Re: Modeler welcome screen

Savva Kolbachev
> Tried it on a real Modeler. It becomes a bit unbalanced with the new
background. Thoughts? (Should we engage a designer?)
That was my thoughts too. It would be grade to engage a designer. BTW, does
anyone still use 4:3 monitors? Would the format of the image be a problem
for them?

Best Regards,
Savva Kolbachev

Re: Modeler welcome screen

Aristedes Maniatis-2
On 22/11/16 7:04am, Musall, Maik wrote:
> I could make a gradient or something, but I don't know how to draw pretty patterns.

I did look for the original Photoshop files I made many years ago, but couldn't find them. However, in the move to JavaFX, perhaps a Material design theme could work well. jfoenix is an Apache licensed one, but I've not used it before.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis
GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Modeler welcome screen

Andrus Adamchik
I can ask our designer at ObjectStyle to take a look.

Andrus

> On Nov 22, 2016, at 1:44 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 22/11/16 7:04am, Musall, Maik wrote:
>> I could make a gradient or something, but I don't know how to draw pretty patterns.
>

> I did look for the original Photoshop files I made many years ago, but couldn't find them. However, in the move to JavaFX, perhaps a Material design theme could work well. jfoenix is an Apache licensed one, but I've not used it before.
>
> Ari
>

> --
> -------------------------->
> Aristedes Maniatis
> GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Modeler welcome screen

Michael Gentry-2
I managed to make the old image work OK (I think) in the prototype's splash
panel.  Always open to suggestions for improvement, though.

mrg

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I can ask our designer at ObjectStyle to take a look.
>
> Andrus
>

> > On Nov 22, 2016, at 1:44 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 22/11/16 7:04am, Musall, Maik wrote:
> >> I could make a gradient or something, but I don't know how to draw
> pretty patterns.
> >

> > I did look for the original Photoshop files I made many years ago, but
> couldn't find them. However, in the move to JavaFX, perhaps a Material
> design theme could work well. jfoenix is an Apache licensed one, but I've
> not used it before.
> >
> > Ari
> >

> > --
> > -------------------------->
> > Aristedes Maniatis
> > GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Modeler welcome screen

Andrus Adamchik
Great.

FWIW, I was referring to the old Modeler. Planning to fix it too.

Andrus

> On Nov 22, 2016, at 2:59 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I managed to make the old image work OK (I think) in the prototype's splash
> panel.  Always open to suggestions for improvement, though.
>
> mrg
>

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Andrus Adamchik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I can ask our designer at ObjectStyle to take a look.
>>
>> Andrus
>>

>>> On Nov 22, 2016, at 1:44 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> pretty patterns.
>>>

>>> I did look for the original Photoshop files I made many years ago, but
>> couldn't find them. However, in the move to JavaFX, perhaps a Material
>> design theme could work well. jfoenix is an Apache licensed one, but I've
>> not used it before.
>>>
>>> Ari
>>>

>>> --
>>> Aristedes Maniatis
>>> GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Modeler welcome screen

Michael Gentry-2
Yes, just pointing out that I'm using the current image in case we need to
update the prototype if a new image/etc is decided upon.