Java 8

Nikita Timofeev
Hi all,

I think it is time to drop support for Java 7 in 4.1.

Java 7 has reached EOL couple years ago and Java 9 will be there in
this September, so I think support for new Java version is more
important, and that is not fully possible without dropping Java 7 (at
least it's impossible to have compatibility with 7,8 and 9 for MacOS
version of the Modeler).

Meanwhile Cayenne 4.0 that supports Java 7 is not even final and will
be supported for some time, so I don't see any reasons why we
shouldn't do this.

Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev

Re: Java 8

Amedeo Mantica
Agree!

> On 26 Jul 2017, at 11:52, Nikita Timofeev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I think it is time to drop support for Java 7 in 4.1.
>
> Java 7 has reached EOL couple years ago and Java 9 will be there in
> this September, so I think support for new Java version is more
> important, and that is not fully possible without dropping Java 7 (at
> least it's impossible to have compatibility with 7,8 and 9 for MacOS
> version of the Modeler).
>
> Meanwhile Cayenne 4.0 that supports Java 7 is not even final and will
> be supported for some time, so I don't see any reasons why we
> shouldn't do this.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Nikita Timofeev

Re: Java 8

Michael Gentry-2
+1

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 5:52 AM, Nikita Timofeev <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think it is time to drop support for Java 7 in 4.1.
>
> Java 7 has reached EOL couple years ago and Java 9 will be there in
> this September, so I think support for new Java version is more
> important, and that is not fully possible without dropping Java 7 (at
> least it's impossible to have compatibility with 7,8 and 9 for MacOS
> version of the Modeler).
>
> Meanwhile Cayenne 4.0 that supports Java 7 is not even final and will
> be supported for some time, so I don't see any reasons why we
> shouldn't do this.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Nikita Timofeev

Re: Java 8

John Huss
+1
On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 6:13 AM Michael Gentry <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1
>

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 5:52 AM, Nikita Timofeev <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think it is time to drop support for Java 7 in 4.1.
> >
> > Java 7 has reached EOL couple years ago and Java 9 will be there in
> > this September, so I think support for new Java version is more
> > important, and that is not fully possible without dropping Java 7 (at
> > least it's impossible to have compatibility with 7,8 and 9 for MacOS
> > version of the Modeler).
> >
> > Meanwhile Cayenne 4.0 that supports Java 7 is not even final and will
> > be supported for some time, so I don't see any reasons why we
> > shouldn't do this.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Nikita Timofeev

Re: Java 8

BTW, it would be better to bring this up on the user list than the
developer list since it has more subscribers and they are the users of
Cayenne, not the developers of Cayenne.

I still don't expect opposition, but it is the better place to discuss this
requirement.

wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think it is time to drop support for Java 7 in 4.1.
>
> Java 7 has reached EOL couple years ago and Java 9 will be there in
> this September, so I think support for new Java version is more
> important, and that is not fully possible without dropping Java 7 (at
> least it's impossible to have compatibility with 7,8 and 9 for MacOS
> version of the Modeler).
>
> Meanwhile Cayenne 4.0 that supports Java 7 is not even final and will
> be supported for some time, so I don't see any reasons why we
> shouldn't do this.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Nikita Timofeev

Re: Java 8

Andrus Adamchik
I am +1 on Java 8 (even though we still have a big Java 7 dependent system, I think we'll survive with 4.0)

Also a good idea to mention this on user@.

Andrus

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 4:23 PM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> BTW, it would be better to bring this up on the user list than the
> developer list since it has more subscribers and they are the users of
> Cayenne, not the developers of Cayenne.
>
> I still don't expect opposition, but it is the better place to discuss this
> requirement.
>
> Thanks,
>
> mrg
>

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 5:52 AM, Nikita Timofeev <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think it is time to drop support for Java 7 in 4.1.
>>
>> Java 7 has reached EOL couple years ago and Java 9 will be there in
>> this September, so I think support for new Java version is more
>> important, and that is not fully possible without dropping Java 7 (at
>> least it's impossible to have compatibility with 7,8 and 9 for MacOS
>> version of the Modeler).
>>
>> Meanwhile Cayenne 4.0 that supports Java 7 is not even final and will
>> be supported for some time, so I don't see any reasons why we
>> shouldn't do this.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Nikita Timofeev

Re: Java 8

Aristedes Maniatis-2
On 26/7/17 7:52PM, Nikita Timofeev wrote:
> Java 7 has reached EOL couple years ago and Java 9 will be there in
> this September, so I think support for new Java version is more
> important, and that is not fully possible without dropping Java 7 (at
> least it's impossible to have compatibility with 7,8 and 9 for MacOS
> version of the Modeler).

It possible to update the version of Java just for the modeler. That way we can keep the older version for the libraries (until we really want to use new features of Java) and upgrade the modeler much more quickly.

For example, I'd be in favour of moving 4.1 Modeler directly to Java 9. Yes, that sounds slightly mad, but Swing/FX continues to improve and Java 9 introduces better font handing and high resolution Windows displays. Developers should have little trouble running a really recent version of Java for the modeler even when servers are still several major releases behind.

For us, we have trouble moving to Java 8 since we are stuck on a slightly old version of Apache Tapestry.

Are there Java 8 features we want to use in the Cayenne libraries?

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis
GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Re: Java 8

Nikita Timofeev
I think Java 8 can have good impact on libraries too. For example it
will greatly help to remove dependency of commons-collections, this
alone is a great benefit.
Plus we'll get opportunity to use standard functional interfaces in
API (we are using custom defined for that), include java8 lib into the
core and I suppose there are other areas where Java 8 can help.