Is java 7 still there?

Andrus Adamchik
A data point for our ongoing discussion of the Java versions support:

   https://plumbr.eu/blog/java/java-version-and-vendor-data-analyzed-2017-edition

Matches my own experience with customers - Java 7 apps are on the way out, but are still found in noticeable quantities. Mostly due to the older bytecode manipulating frameworks in the legacy code that prevent the upgrade.

Re: Is java 7 still there?

Michael Gentry
Your statement matches what my project encountered.  Upgrading to Java 8
would've been trivial *except* we use JiBX for Java <-> XML and it includes
a version of Apache BCEL which wouldn't work with Java 8.  To circumvent
the issue, we used a POM override to specify a snapshot release of BCEL
(although a non-snapshot is thankfully now available) which worked with
Java 8.  AFAIK, JiBX still includes the "bad" BCEL.

So yes, byte code manipulation bit us.  If I remember correctly, the
in-depth reason had something to do with default methods being added to
Java interfaces.  Drove the BC nutty (technical term).

mrg